Thursday, April 3, 2014

A Card Trick Quilt

Happy Spring!

I am so ready for it! It seems like it has been a long, cold and snowy winter, and I am looking forward to working in my garden again and enjoying some warmer weather. I have seen some daffodils and hyacinths blooming, a sure harbinger of spring, and also a few trees beginning to leaf out! I am sure you are as anxious as I am.





The card trick block is an old favorite. This quilt was made for a special granddaughter who is into those pink and brown colors. I have this child in my Awana's group, and she is definitely a modern girly girl, so I tried to design the quilting to match her personality.

Even though the block is traditional, the quilting does not have to be, so I ended up with a bit of a mix in my quilting patterns. I combined all 3 borders and used a more modern feather pattern.


Feathered border






Card Trick block


I thought the blocks themselves needed a more contemporary pattern, so I got out my sketchbook and started doodling. I played with hearts, swirls, feathers, curls, etc., but was not really getting what I wanted, then I ran across this pattern by Quilter's Niche, and thought it was perfect.






For the sashings, I chose a simple feather pattern, adding in a sashiko corner for a different look. I have included a photo of the back of the quilt so you can get a different view and see how the patterns work together.
Back of quilt

Well, I have to get my exercise in and then get to work, but I think the pink backing on this quilt leaves me in the pink with happy thoughts, and inspires me for the blocks on my next quilt. Though it is a little cooler today (with predictions of snow even!) spring is in the air, and I hope we will all be able to enjoy it soon.

Until next time, happy quilting!
Cathy





 

1 comment:

  1. As always, looks like you chose the perfect pattern for this quilt! The design fits perfectly. Gorgeous--front and back!

    ReplyDelete