Monday, September 7, 2015

Marsha's Smokey River Quilt

Sometimes simple is best.


overall quilt
When Marsha brought me this quilt, her request was to keep the quilting simple, (She knows I can sometimes get carried away!) so that's what I did. The large blocks of strip piecing in the quilt are actually what I puzzled over the most! So while I was thinking about these, I started filling in the other areas, since many times this helps to determine what will be done with those "wonder what I will do with these".


border area
I usually do the border first, just to keep the quilt contained, and as I loaded the quilt, it was obvious that the border was a bit wonky, so the pattern chosen here was a curvy swirl pattern that would take up the excess in that border fabric. The 9 patch areas are a simple basic curve pattern to compliment the border, and the black border has a simple diamond pattern. Since straight lines were used in this part of the border, a triangular Greek key pattern was used for the light blue triangles between the 9 patches.


Main block areas
Moving on to the larger blocks, to keep the star areas simple, basic continuous curve and swirl patterns were used, with the same pattern in 9 patch and chain areas that was used in the border. Okay - so now what's left are those large strip pieced areas. Since line patterns were used in the border, the same concept was brought into these areas to compliment, this time as an "X" pattern running through the 3 colored strips. The result is a combination of curves and straight lines throughout the quilt, and does finish with a simple look. (Marsha was pleased.)

So I hope you are all getting back on to some sort of a normal schedule, now that school in back underway. Hopefully that means you have time to quilt again!


Until next time, happy quilting!
Cathy


A closer view
Verse for the day: " Remember the former things long past, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying 'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure.'"
(Isaiah 46:9-10)
Strip pieced areas

1 comment: