Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas Applique


Christmas Blessings to Everyone!

Border View
A Glimpse of the whole quilt.
It is large, 88 X 110
Pear Tree Block
"and to all a goodnight"
This quilt both challenged and delighted me - It was so much fun to work on! Thank you, dear one, for giving me the opportunity! It took me a long time to complete it, (the results were well worth the time!) and I was so attached to it by the time it was finished that I did not want to give it back! The pictures do not do this justice, but wouldn't you just love to have this one displayed in your home during the wonderful holiday season?
Center "Merry Christmas" block

Star block
I am often asked how I decide what to quilt. There is not an easy answer to this, but basically, this is how I typically work. While I am working on a quilt, I hang my next one on a clothesline near my machine so that I can look at it every time I walk into the room or glace up. It keeps me thinking, and little by little a plan begins to take shape. I look for clues within the quilt to guide me - allowing the quilt to "speak" to me. This will extend from what colors to use (I find myself often trying out various colors) to what I might do in each block, section, sashing, border, etc. For a quilt like this one, I find myself thinking: " If I were a (holly, stocking, leaf, ornament, star, menorah, etc.) how would I look? Or, what background fill would look best here? I am more of a traditional quilter, although I do modern quilts as well, so most of my ideas have more of a traditional theme.

Wreath Block
By the time I am ready to work on the quilt, I have sticky notes pinned all over it to remind me what I was thinking. (With my feeble mind, the notes are vital!) This also helps me keep a consistent flow to the quilt, since I can only see a small portion of it at a time.


poinsettia block



Menorah Block
That's it - not much of a secret, is it! But, it is what works for me. As you can see in this quilt, there are all kinds of stitched additions - oak leaves added to the border pattern, ribbons added to the wreath and stockings, flames added to the menorah, star "light". There is also quite a variety of fill patterns: echo quilting, swirls, paisley, feathers, curls, etc.







May each of you and your families know the most blessed gift of all this Christmas.
"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!" (I Cor. 9:15)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with us last Friday. You did this justice and took this to masterpiece level.

    ReplyDelete